Job Title: Lab Pack Chemist
Reports To: Operations Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
EEO Category: EEO-1
Locations: Norfolk, MA
The Lab-Pack Chemist is responsible for identifying and characterizing waste in accordance with DOT, EPA, and RCRA state standards. This position is also responsible for packing waste per permits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Load and unload drums, totes and containers of hazardous and non-hazardous waste materials from trucks.
- Operate light and heavy equipment including pumps, vacuums, and forklifts.
- Work individually and in teams to perform lab pack services, segregating and classifying hazardous and non-hazardous materials per Federal DEP & EPA guidelines and state requirements.
- Properly complete waste profiles and regulatory documentation including manifests, Land Disposal Restrictions (LDRs) and container labels.
- Perform emergency response activities including chemical and water spills, biological contamination, tank cleaning, equipment decontamination, etc.
- Perform consolidation of hazardous materials/waste (i.e. bulking, repackaging).
- Perform projects pertaining to hazardous waste operations including evacuation, drum management, and disposal.
- Provide expert knowledge on government regulations, safety practices and proper disposal methods to management and technicians.
- Ability to wear and properly use all levels of personal protective equipment (PPE) including full respirators.
- Ensures Health and Safety policies are strictly followed at all times.
Performs other, related duties as assigned.
These are duties which may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but which are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee’s class of work.
To perform the duties of this job, the employee must have good interpersonal skills; be patient and tactful; display an enthusiastic, cooperative and friendly attitude at all times with managers/supervisors, co-workers, visitors, customers and clients. Employees must be able to maintain high business ethics internally and externally. Lab Pack Chemists must have the ability to communicate effectively with all employees, customers and contracted vendors.
Other Necessary Skills include:
Mechanical- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, and maintenance. Communication; including the ability to receive and relay instructions accurately. Adaptability-the ability to assess and implement the best course of action for the safe and effective completion of a job task with in the customer requirements.
- 4 year degree in Environmental Science or Chemistry preferred.
- Military experience is a plus.
- Background in hazardous waste designation, lab pack segregation, and environmental management.
- Knowledge of chemical packaging regulations per DOT and EPA standards.
- Pass a Pre-Employment Physical.
- Clean Driving Record for the past 2 years.
- 40 HAZWOPER (provided if necessary).
- Able to read, write, and understand the English language, and able to follow verbal and written instructions.
- Physically able to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) when necessary and lift > 50lbs routinely.
The personal and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee works under the guise of a Project Coordinator or Operations Manager. While performing the duties of this job, the Lab Pack Chemist must be able to drive company vehicles, evaluate safety hazards present, and instruct his team on safety protocols. Regular use of a PC, tablet or smart phone is also required. Mandatory overtime and on call status will apply on a monthly rotational schedule.
To perform the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and may stoop, kneel, climb up and down ladders, lift a minimum of 25 pounds, wear a respirator, ability to talk and hear; specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to work in confined spaces donning all levels of PPE; the supervisor must also be well versed in confined space rescue and first aid. Work during inclement and sometimes arduous weather conditions.
ACV Enviro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status, among other factors.
Current Job Openings
Location: Brooklyn, NY Dispatches drivers to calls as they are received, using information on and daily factors such as driver loads, locations, and customer needs in order to balance cost and speed of response.Read More