Job Title: Senior Environmental Specialist
Department: Technical Services
Reports To: Regional Lab Pack Supervisor
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Locations: Cambridge, MA
ACV Enviro is a full-service environmental management firm offering a broad range of environmental services including chemical management/packaging/disposal, industrial cleaning, emergency spill response, facility auditing/permitting, and staff trainings. Our offices are strategically located throughout the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Midwest US enabling us to provide best in class service to our clients including pharmaceutical companies, biotech firms, schools, hospitals, governmental organizations, chemical manufacturers and industrial facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervising teams of specialists who perform variety of tasks at customer sites relating to lab safety, environmental compliance, and hazardous material/waste management. Tasks include:
- Conducting routine inspection/audit services to assess customers’ compliance with hazmat storage, waste management, and occupational safety regulations.
- Handling, classifying, segregating, labeling and packaging hazardous and non-hazardous materials according to Federal and State regulations.
- Training laboratory/production staff to understand proper chemical handling/storage techniques and relevant environmental laws.
- Responding to emergency chemical spills and performing cleanup duties.
- Preparing shipping documents and coordinating transportation of chemical products and hazardous waste materials to and from customer sites.
- Performing consolidation of hazardous materials/waste (i.e. bulking, repackaging).
- Providing expert knowledge on government regulations, health and safety practices, and proper disposal methods to customers.
- Performing other job-related duties as assigned.
- 4 year BA/BS degree required, Major in Environmental Science, Chemistry preferred.
- Experience in customer service or a related field required.
- Experience in hazardous waste classification, lab pack segregation, and waste handling required.
- Advanced Knowledge of applicable DOT, EPA, and OSHA regulations required.
- Must be willing and able to pass a pre-employment physical w/ drug screen.
- Must have a clean driving record for the past 2 years.
- Must possess a 40hr HAZWOPER certification.
- Must possess a commercial driver’s license w/ a hazmat endorsement.
- Must be knowledgeable about PPE-selection requirements for handling of hazardous materials. Must be able and willing to wear and properly use all levels of personal protective equipment (PPE) including air-purifying respirators.
- Must be willing and able to accept routine 24hr on-call emergency spill response duties for at least one week each calendar month.
- Possesses strong leadership qualities and negotiation skills.
- Possesses a positive attitude and desire to work directly with customers.
- Has the ability to teach and mentor less experienced chemists.
- Interested in the field of environmental health and/or occupational safety.
- Values career longevity.
- Not interested in a desk job.
- Ability to work independently or as a member of a team.
- Possesses adaptive problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written/speaking skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
The personal and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee works alone or in small groups and has frequent interruptions and repetitious activities. Employee must be able to work under the stress of meeting many requests from various departments and individuals, sometimes with conflicting deadlines. Handling of confidential information also applies.
To perform the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to walk; lift a minimum of 25 pounds, wear a respirator; climb up and down ladders and reach with hands and arms with use of a step stool; occasionally required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, and lift and/or move up to 25 pounds for movement of boxes and supplies. Must be able to reach, kneel, life and move heavy supplies.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
This position is exposed to maintenance areas subject to OSHA which include safety precautions.
ACV Enviro is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status, among other factors.
Current Job Openings
The Regional Technical Services Manager supervises the day to day oversight of the field chemists team with in their defined territory of operations.Read More